GINGERED CRAB CURRY
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
4 medium uncooked crabs
1/4 cup oil
2 large onions, chopped
3 cloves, garlic, crushed
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 bay leaves
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 small fresh red chillies, chopped
1 tbsp Garam Masala
2 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp packaged ground almonds
1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
425g can tomato puree
1 1/2 cups coconut cream
1. To prepare green (uncooked) crabs: Segment the crab - lift the flap undedr the crab's body with your thumb. While holding the body firmly with 1 hand, pull off the top part of the shell with the other. Discard the top shell. Remove and discard the spongy, finger-like white gills on either side of the crab's body. Cut the body into quarters. Use a nutcracker to crack the large claws to enable easy removal of crabmeat when serving.
2. Heat oil in large frying pan or wok, adding onions, garlic, ginger, bay leaves, coriander seeds, chillies and Garam Masala. Stir over heat for about 3 minutes or until onions are soft.
3. Stir in poppy seeds, almonds, fresh coriander and tomato puree. Bring to boil, then stir in coconut cream, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for five minutes.
4. Add the crabs to the sauce, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn crabs, cover again and simmer for another 15 minutes or until crabs are cooked through.
5. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.