- 2kg fresh, uncooked crayfish, halved lengthwise
- oil for deep frying
- 100g butter
- 7 red chillies, seeded and very finely chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2.5cm ginger, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons black pepper, crushed
Heat oil until very hot then deep fry the crayfish until the shell changes colour. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a wok or pan, add chilli, garlic and ginger and fry, stirring frequently for about 3 minutes. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Simmer over low heat for 30 seconds then add the black pepper. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens, then add the crayfish. Keep stirring until the crayfish is well coated with sauce, and cook for another couple of minutes. Serve hot.
Tip: Prawns or crabs can be substituted for crayfish if preferred