You Need: (Serves 6)
- 1.5kg octopus, tenderised
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup red or white wine (we prefer red)
- 3 ripe tomatoes, diced (or a can of crushed tomatoes)
- 100g sultanas
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 100g pinenuts (optional)
- cracked black pepper to taste
Heat half the oil in a large pot. Add octopus and cook with the lid on for 7 minutes.
Remove from the heat and cut the octopus at an angle into thin slices about 5mm thick.
Empty and discard the pan juices. Return the pan to the stove top and heat the remaining oil. Saute the onions until soft. Add the wine and simmer on a lower heat until the liquid has reduced by half.
Return the octopus to the pan along with the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, sultanas and pinenuts. Season with cracked black pepper.
Serve with pasta, rice or thick potato chips.