You Need: (Serve 4 as an entree)
- 2kg black or greenlip mussels or 24 mussels in 1/2 shell
- water, enough to cover the base of the pot to a depth of about 2cm
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- sea salt and cracked blac pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 2 shallots, siced
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh chilli, sliced (optional)
Bring the water to boil in a large pot and add the mussels. Cover and steam until the mussels open. Discard any that do not open. Allow to cool, then remove the top shell.
Place mussels and all other ingredients in a glass bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Drain liquid and serve with fresh garden salad and garlic bread.