You Need: (Serves 2)
- 1/2kg black mussels, debearded
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 4 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup dry white wine
Clean mussels in water and pat dry.
In a saucepan or deep wok, lightly fry ginger, garlic, chillies and black pepper for 1 minute. To the wok, add the soy sauce, tomato sauce, sugar, wine and vinegar and leave it to simmer. Add the mussels to the wok and cook, covered, over moderately high heat for 4-6 minutes, or until opened.
Transfer the open mussels to a serving bowl and cook the rest another minute or two. If they do not open, discard them.
Let the sauce simmer for 2 minutes to create a thicker consistency. Pour the remainder of the sauce over the shellfish.
Serve garnished with fresh coriander and steamed jasmine rice.