You Need: (Serves 6)
- 500g cod fillet, skin removed, pin boned and sliced into strips
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and diced into 2.5cm cubes
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 free range eggs
- 2 large handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, halved and finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 285ml double cream
- 2 good handfuls of grated mature Cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 heaped teaspoon English mustard
- 1 large handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- nutmeg, optional
Prehat oven to 230 degrees c. Put the potatoes into salted boiling water and bring back to the boil for 2 minutes. Carefully add the eggs to the pan and cook for a further 8 minutes until hard boiled, by which time the potatoes whould also be cooked.
At the same time, steam the spinach in a colander above the pan. This will only take a minute. When the spinach is done, remve from the colander and gently squeeze any excess moisture away.
Drain the potatoes in the colander. Remove the eggs and cool under cold water, then peel and quarter. Place to one side.
In a separate pan, slowly fry the onion and carrot in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes, then add the double cream and bring just to the boil. Remove from heat and add the cheese, lemon juice, mustard and parsley.
Put the spinach, fish and eggs into an appropriately sized earthenware dish and mix together, pouring over the creamy vegetable sauce.
The cooked potatoes should be drained and mashed- add a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and a touch of nutmeg if you like. Spread on top of the fish.
Place in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are golden.