You Need: (Serves 4)
- 12 fresh sardines
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 egg, blended with 2 tablespoons milk
- 125g dried breadcrumbs
- oil for cooking
Minted Chilli Butter
- 125g butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped red chilli
- freshly ground black pepper
Coat sardines in flour, dip in egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs.
To make minted chilli butter, place butter, mint, spring onions, garlic, pepper and chilli in a bowl and mix well. Place butter on a pice of plastic food wrap and roll into a log shape. Refrigerate until required.
Heat oil and 1/3 minted chilli butter in a large frypan and cook sardines for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden.
Serve sardines topped with a slice of minted chilli butter.